Online Registration Is Now Closed.
Walk-in registrations will be taken at the door as space permits.
Celebrating and Embracing San Diego’s “Jewel” for the Next 100 Years:
A Special July Balboa Park Breakfast Dialogue Event
Join us on Thursday, July 30th, on what promises to be a beautiful summer morning in Balboa Park, for a special Breakfast Dialogue to commemorate the Centennial of the Panama-California Exposition.
Anniversaries are about celebrating the past, enjoying the present and looking to the future. We’ll shine a light on Balboa Park and its abundant offerings to our city and the entire region, while discussing ways forward and challenges ahead.
We will start with a hosted, sit down breakfast outdoors in the Casa Del Rey Moro Garden overlooking the Japanese Friendship Garden and Spreckels Organ Pavilion. There, we’ll hear from a distinguished group of speakers about the future of the park, including:
- Board chair of the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership and MOPA executive director, Deborah Klochko, on how collaboration and collaborative programs have changed in the park over the last decade and what we might see going forward.
- Meet new Balboa Park Conservancy Executive Director & CEO, Thomas Herrera-Mishler and hear the Balboa Park Conservancy’s vision and initiatives for the future.
- Preeminent architectural historian Milford Wayne Donaldson speaking on the park’s historic site management from a national perspective and the current challenges that will shape its future.
- Michael Stepner, architect and academic, will discuss the challenges presented by years of budget cuts and deferred maintenance, relating to visions of how to grow the park, incorporate it into adjacent communities, and improve accessibility.
The second half of the morning will give attendees the opportunity to experience some of the amazing natural and cultural features of Balboa Park that truly make it our "civic treasure.”
All attendees will have the opportunity to experience 2 tours from among the following list (space is limited):
- *California Tower up to the observation deck OR *Japanese Friendship Garden hosted by project architect Kotaro Nakamura.
- The Friends of Balboa Park showcasing the Gardens of the Prado
- San Diego Floral Association hosting tours of the Botanical Building
- SOHO special "Souvenirs & Keepsakes" of the Exhibitions at the Marston House
*If you are unable to register for either the Japanese Friendship Garden or California Tower tour on the morning of the event, your breakfast pass allows you to return for one of these tours through the Labor Day holiday.
All attending will receive a free pass to the History Center which is currently presenting exhibits on the Panama-California Exposition and SDG&E's history of community and park participation.
A C-3 representative will contact you
regarding your tour choices.
The morning schedule:
7:00 a.m. ~ Registration and Breakfast opens
7:40 a.m. ~ Program begins
9:10-10:10 a.m. ~ First Tour event session
10:15 a.m.-11:15 a.m. ~ Second Tour event session
Pricing is $50: Members/$60: Not-Yet-Members
Comfortable walking shoes are recommended!
July Breakfast Dialogue Sponsors:
2015 Breakfast Dialogue